Tuesday, August 30, 2011

The Adventure Continues(life and food and all that jazz!)

So as many of you know going to school is a challenge with 2 small children and a hubby whose work schedule is crazy!  I have been packing 4 lunches 3 days a week and 2 on the other 2 week days.  One of those lunches is for me, and well I have to say after only a measly 2 weeks stint I am SICK of Wonderbread Smart Wheat (which I really like compared to most low calorie breads...and I have been so so sick of the 'thins"), with lunch meat and mustard!  SO I am trying to spice it up!  I would love to take a salad but really my lunch tote is small ( as of  now though I just ordered one from 31...can't wait to get it!) so what are the other options.  Then a good old favorite came to mind..Tuna fish, in fact canned tuna...the standard with pickle relish and light MW, and mustard...but then I am so sick of that...for any of you who occasionally peek at my food diary on My Fitness Pal you may have seen that Tuna was my go to for a while. So I thought I would try something new...I chopped up a half of an apple and added 1/8 cup of silvered almonds and tested before I added an dressing and surprisingly I love it!  I can hardly wait to eat lunch tomorrow.
    Another successful adventure comes from the "Meatloaf Mishap".  Now while I will tell you that for ground turkey meatloaf my Turkey Cheesy Meatloaf (from this weeks menu!)was a success...my children would beg to differ they both even refused to try it..I am not sure if it was the shape or the look but no go...oh well, the hubby and I enjoyed it!   But I couldn't figure out what to do with the left overs, the hubby who is not keen on eating the same dinner 2 nights in a row and the children who refused it the 1st time....well my meatloaf had a makeover...( I had more than half the loaf left)


I added 11/2 cups of water
1 tablespoon chili powder( which was a little too much..think next time 2 teaspoons will do!)
1 tsp of cumin
2 cloves of garlic
1/8 cup of chopped cilantro


This made really great taco meat and the kids asked for 2nds!

No comments:

Post a Comment